So one thing I’m trying to get used to on my 2010 Harley Davidson Fat Bob is the lack of storage.
Yeah I know I’m being an idiot. I should focus on what I need not on how the bike looks but let’s be honest – we all think about form over function from time to time. And for storage, I’ve really got my eye on Harley’s Single-Sided Swingarm Bag.
But with a pricetag of $229.95, I’m going to try to find some other alternatives first.
Enter the River Road Classic Fork Bag. At $24.95 it definitely is a cost-effective way to put a few items, like tools, emergency bandana, etc., away for a rainy day. For the price, I expected something pretty basic, but the quality looks pretty nice. The Velcro straps that mount it to the bike are long enough for just about any bike – I trimmed mine so that there’s nothing extra flapping around. I can even fit a t-shirt in there just in case, but anything much bulkier than that won’t work unless I empty out the rest of the stuff.
Hey it’s not meant to be luggage it’s meant to be small storage so if I want anything more I’ll either have to buck up and get that really cool side-bag (it really is calling me) or go the extra mile and get saddlebags. If I go the saddlebag route I already have a pair of very nice ones that are also River Road. I’m trying to find a low-cost quick-release bracket option that will work with these bags – for now I’m having a hard-time.
Just like the fork bags they are well-made, functional and very inexpensive. I would guess them to cost twice as much as they actually do. Now these aren’t huge, and they don’t lock, but I’m thinking that as long as the brackets work out, they will be a pretty good option for when I just have to have some more gear.
You can find River Road gear in our area at Off-Road Express.
- Rich, synthetic material with UV protection offers the look and feel of top quality leather
- The Fast-Zip Removal system allows easy on/easy off for installing on a bike or carrying as a bag
- Quick-release buckles, hidden behind traditional chrome hardware, make opening the bag quick and easy
- A removable, neoprene layer covers the bag contact points to protect the motorcycle
- Reinforced side walls and a reinforced base provide strength and shape retention
- Box-style lids with hook-and-loop closure and extra long cross-over flaps inside provide a secure storage environment
- A waterproof cover with full elastic closure is included to protect against rain and dust
- All saddlebags have a custom-fitted liner bag inside that makes packing convenient and further protects the contents from the elements
- Quick-release straps secure the bags to your motorcycle or saddlebag supports
- Includes a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- MSRP $189.95